Friday, July 9, 2010

Day 1!


Hello lovely ladies! Hannah here!

I'm going to try to make this post interesting, but bare with me, I'm no grammar student and I can definitely say this is the first blog post I've
ever written! (I still think you have to know a secret PR language to even know how to work a twitter). Mallory is currently in a meeting with about 400 other Alpha Chi's learning all about the voting process and the things that the voting delegates will be voting on during this Convention. I get to take a break from the sweltering heat to write to you all :) This morning a lot more of the women were still getting into town so we didn't have any scheduled plans. Mal and I decided to attempt to take the Metro to see some sights, since the tour we get to go on later in the week only stops at certain monuments. Jenni and Molly are here too and took off earlier than we to do the same! Before we headed out we signed in for Convention and got all of our stuff. We have lots of Greek apparel coupons codes to bring hom
e to you! We also walked around to some of the booths that were being set up with Alpha Chi stuff. I can't wait to check out all the goodies later and find some to bring back to Oregon for you all! Some of the apparel sites had old designs on sale for cheap so Mal got a t-shirt and I got a sweatshirt just for $5 and $10 bucks! They have a lot of cute designs from other chapters and we have some great function and apparel ideas now!
Later the concierge here gave us a map and showed us h
ow to take the Metro to get into DC, since our hotel is in Virginia. I haven't been on one since I was young, and Mallory never has so it was definitely an adventure... Lets just say the longest part of the whole ordeal was trying to figure out how to print the stupid tickets! Thankfully, we had no other hitches and didn't even get lost! Woohoo! Mallory suggested I post a pic of the map so you can see where we went on the Metro. The blue line was us!
Our first stop was to Arlington Cemetery. In case any of your history buffs were curious, the land used to belong to Native Americans until the colonial period when it was used for farmland. George Washington's step son George Washington Parke Curtis inherited the land and built the Arlington house as a memorial for our first president. After the Civil War, a village was established and the first to be buried in the cemetery were inhabitants of the village, followed by the many soldiers lost from the War. From then on this has been a place of rest for many famous to unnamed American soldiers and men and women that died serving their country. (I got that all from the brochure, but I'm sure you all though I was a genius for a minute right?!) We visited the graves of President Kennedy and his family and saw the eternal flame burning. This would have probably been more spectacular had it not been over 100 degrees already, but it was still an amazing site. I also saw the Arlington house, the Memorial Amphitheater, the tomb of the unknown soldier, as well as part of the changing of the guard. I'm not sure how much Mallory saw since she started getting cranky pants and took a shade brake while I hiked to the memorial haha. She caught up in time to see the changing of the guard though, which was cool! Not to mention the young men in uniform ;) We both took lots of pictures, but neither of us remembered a camera cord, so we're going to look for one soon or just end up uploading them as soon as we get back. Sorry we're dummies! Next, we took the metro to the Smithsonian where we ran into Jenni and Molly. By this point we were all dehydrated and worn out so we headed back to the hotel to get some lunch and so they could get ready for their meeting.
Tonight is the Welcome Banquet and afterwards is what we're all really looking forward to; the Carnation boutique sale! I'm excited to bring back some fun stuff for my CR standout women! Tomorrow we have to be up bright and early to start the Convention events. Mallory, Jenni, and I also have a meeting with our new PCC tomorrow morning.... at 7:45am! yuck. If anyone has any questions they'd like us to ask her please let us know! I'm sure she'd love to share a little with you all. And if you've been really searching for a alpha chi button or something, we can probably hook it up tonight :)
Miss you all and keep in touch!

LITB
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment